Friday, April 08, 2005

A Whole New World

So I am taking some inspiration from my beautiful wife Beth and am going to try to blog. This should be interesting considering the world which I am soon entering. That of an Intern.

First let me say a few things about the world today. Michael Shiavo had the right to decide what happened to his wife. I know that his may draw some fire from those around me (aka Mom), but regardless of the money, the affair, or whether or not Terri Shiavo was in a persistent vegetative state, her husband legally had the right to make that decision. For the record, if any of you reading this ever find me in the same condition as Terri was, PLEASE pull my feeding tube! I PROMISE that I will forgive you and not hate you or curse you, even if I know that I'm being starved to death. Terri was in the same condition the day before she died as she was 15 years earlier when her heart stopped and her brain was deprived of oxygen for some amount of time (I don't know personally how long a time this was). Sure, give me 2 months to see what happens, see if there is some chance of improvement, but PLEASE do not feed me through a tube for 15 years. That is not the life that I want. I would rather sing with the angels, than be fed through a tube.

Secondly, I am marveled by the faith of the man known as John Paul II. I have been transfixed ever since the night they reported that he was gravely ill. I even stayed up until 2:00 a.m. watching the latest news. In reading his will on CNN, there is no question that he was a man of God and fought with all his might to stand up for the things that he believed in. In his will, he left nothing because he had nothing to leave. No car, no cell phone, no retirement fund. His instructions merely said burn my personal papers and bury me in the ground. The weight he carried leading 1 Billion Catholics is nearly impossible to fathom. The grace, passion, and faith in which he did it, is remakable.

Graduation is 7 weeks from tomorrow, then this blog truly will be the "Ramblings of a Med/Peds Intern".

Thanks for reading.

No comments: