Friday, June 24, 2005

Day 1, OVER


Well, I guess you could say that I've survived my first day as a doctor. I actually had a nurse call me and ask what to do about a patient with chest pain. And let me just say...I've not often had quite so odd a feeling as I did today when I wrote a prescription for pain medicine for a patient to take to Walgreens or CVS, and signed MY NAME to it. Uh, that's weird.

Day one as a Med/Peds Intern began at 6:00 a.m., that's when I arrived at the hospital. I was up at 5:00! Thanks to the modern advances of technology, I was able to look up SOME information on my patients last night from home. Please understand that when speaking about patients or things I MIGHT have seen, I must be vague and general. HIPAA regulations guarantee patients the right to privacy and I personally could be fined THOUSANDS of dollars if it's found that I violate that privacy. So I won't. Anyway, I began to see my patients, introduce myself, and write notes in their charts that will forever, good or bad, be a part of their medical history.

It's all a little surreal. Today was not a bad day. Yes, it could have been better. Yes, I wish my resident had held my hand a little more..he didn't even check the prescriptions I wrote...we just sent the patient home...but at the same time, it's here. It's real. The chance to make a difference.

I covet your prayers that God will watch over me and guide me. That He'll make His presence felt, especially in those dark hours that are sure to come.

Please don't email me and ask for narcotics. The answer is no.

Jeremy L. Brown, M.D.
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics Intern
364 of 365 days as an intern to go

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your resident didn't stay with you because he knows you can do it. You'z da bomb, yo.