Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Growing up

Even though I have posted recently, I thought that I would post again in response to Becky's recent blog.

I guess it's official. I'm OLD! Tonight I am going to meet with my financial advisor and finalize my disability insurance. This is something that I've known for some time that I needed, but never stopped long enough to get. Well, that ends today.

As a physician (even while still a resident) my most valuable asset is my ability to generate income. Let's face it...I have over $120,000 in medical school debt alone. Not to mention the mortgage, cars, dogs (they have to eat, too) and not wanting to leave Beth as solely responsibile financially if I'm disabled.

So, as of tonight, I will have long-term disability insurance. It is own-occupation, non-cancellable, guaranteed renewable. That means that if I am disabled to a point where I can't practice Med/Peds completely, they will pay. Most disability policies WON'T pay if you can still get a job at Burger King or Wal-Mart. This protects me from that. They also can't cancel the policy if I do become disabled (can you believe this would actually happen???) I pay them premiums for 10 years and then something tragic happens, I can't work, and just when the benefits start, they cancel the policy. Insurance companies are SHADY! This policy will also give me the option to get more coverage once my income and financial responsibilities increase.

So, I'm getting old. But at least I'm being responsible about it. I even have a life insurance policy (it's not much and certainly not worth someone killing me over, so please don't).

I guess the ultimate responsibility will be when Beth and I decide to have kids. And yes, Mom (and Laura), we will decide to have kids someday. I promise. Ha!

Ok, I'm in the ICU and PROBABLY should be working. So that is all for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on being old.

and as far as the baby thing is concerned, i need time to finish the cross stitch baby crap i am working on NOW before you start loading up the baby machine with any reasons for me to stitch.

because MY needs are what is important in your family planning... hahaha. not.

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one am glad you will be having children. They are the delight of mankind. Also, I am ready to ge a "Glam-ma".
As for being old, I can't believe you are as old as you are! It seems like just yesterday that you were in third grade, but..... I could tell you were going to be the man we know today; kind, courteous, loyal, brilliant and staying in touch with all of us. We love you "Germ-y"