Sunday, July 17, 2005

I crashed a High School Reunion

It was my high school reunion...sort of. For those of you who don't know, a brief explanation. I lived in Abilene, TX from Feb. 1986 (3rd grade) until July 1993 (end of soph. yr). This weekend was Abilene Cooper's 10 year reunion. I went. I only spent 2 years in Tyler and I can only think a 5-6 people who will be at that reunion that I would want to see.

On the other hand, this weekend in Abilene, I had the extreme pleasure of seeing some of my oldest and dearest friends. Friends who taught me how to laugh, how to love, how to cry, how to be me. I AM SO BLESSED!!! Many of these friends I had lost contact with after leaving Abilene. For some, it had been 12 years since I had seen them. This weekend, I felt like we were 16 again and that nothing had changed. NOT that I would want to BE 16 again! We had an absolute BLAST this weekend. Even Beth, my wife, who basically knew no one (and LOATHES these sorts of things) had a good time. As she will tell you, "Two makes a family." Looking as most of my former classmates, Beth and I are WAY behind in the baby department. Some had 3, THREE, kids. We have 2 dogs.

I had such a great time this weekend and I want to thank the "true" Abilene Cooper Class of 1995 for letting me continue to be a part of them. And thanks for helping Beth feel like a part of the gang.

Becky--your name is mud for not showing up. I hope you're ok.
Rachel and Jason--I'm sorry I didn't get to meet Buddy (name changed to protect the innocent) but I love you guys--see you soon.
Eric and Christina--Christina I'm glad I got to meet you, see you at the wedding. Eric, I hope that we always stay in touch--
Lara--your husband is a riot, I think he and Beth bonded (should we be scared?). I'm so glad you're happy. You look GREAT!
Em--you sure know how to throw a party!!!! It was SO GOOD to see you! Next time, I'll help!
Leya--I never knew your mom liked me so much, HA! I could have used that...your little girl is beautiful. Best of luck to you and Brian
Ann--I vote you, "THE ONE WHO STAYED MOST THE SAME" and I LOVE IT!!! You look happy, confident, and at peace. You're an amazingly talented woman and I expect great things. Perhaps the Mrs. and I can make it to AZ to see you!
Alison--you're too cool for words. Not many have the gumption to show up to a reunion unemployed! Best of luck...we need to have a mini reunion in D/FW (since almost EVERYONE from our class lives there!)
Shea--you're one of the funniest people I know. Don't worry, it's a good thing. I'm glad that you came and that you're doing well. Good luck with grad school. Hopefully you can join the mini reunion.
Rachel H-M--you're a dear friend--good luck with the one of the way. Your boys are too cute and I know that they'll love having a new brother/sister. Call us ANYTIME you're in Houston. Until next time, there's always email.
Ben-We have too many mutual friends NOT to keep up! Taiwan will be a challenge. Good luck with Mandarin
Andy--I'm sure we'll keep up through IM. I'm sorry it had been so long before this that we had talked.
Jackson and Erin--you guys look great, I know that you're already FABULOUS parents. Jackson, I know that you're patients are in GREAT hands. Good luck whereever life leads you.
To the rest of the Class of 1995, Emily L., Dave B., Tiffany H, Sherry S. Zac and Bru, Jurel, Emily C, Christy, Justin, and whomever else I've left off this list. Thanks. I can't wait to do it again 5 years from now.
To those from the class that are missing and that couldn't make it. You need to be found, and you need to show up in 2010. It really isn't the same without you.

I go to sleep tonight happy. Happy because this weekend I was able to relive some of the best years of my life with some of the best friends I've ever had. I'm a lucky man. Call me anytime.

1 comment:

Becky said...

i am so sorry that i missed you. i hope that you understand that it was not because of you that i did not attend. if anything, you were the one reason that i had for showing up, but i just couldn't do it. please understand, and know what a huge place you hold in my heart. you will always have a special place in my memory and life. i hope to seee you soon, and yearn to meet beth.