Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rita is coming...and she's not bringing Tequila

Gulf Hurricane, Take 2

It's Wednesday night and I felt the need to blog before Rita makes her presence known. Rest assured that the citizens of Galveston and Houston and the surrounding areas are taking Rita and her fury extremely seriously. It is taking 5 hours (normally a 1 hour trip) to drive from Galveston to downtown Houston.

Beth plans to leave for Austin tonight in the middle of the night. It will probably take her 8 hours to make a normal 3.5 hour trip. She is taking the dogs and a few keepsakes and heading for higher ground. This storm is so big that I'm sure Austin will get plenty of rain.

Me, you ask? Well, as an intern in the medical field, I am reporting for duty. My team is on-call (admitting patients for the night) starting Friday morning at 7:00 a.m., a few hours before we start to see effects of the hurricane. We have been told that we will stay in the hospital perhaps untilSunday or Monday depending on the storm, since the other residents won't be able to make it to the hospital. Even if I have the opportunity to leave Saturday morning, I won't. Beth and the dogs will be taken care of and I'm sure that they will need help in the hospital.

Say a prayer of us. That the casualties will be few and the damage minimal. Pray for patience as people spend many hours in the car trying to get out of harms way.

Time to batton down the hatches. See you on the other side.

Jeremy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got your phone message, and yes, you're in my thoughts. I trust this will be an experience none of us will soon forget. Stay safe...I hope you get some rest! I'll talk to you soon!