Saturday, December 17, 2005

2nd post in 2 days

Strangely, it's a nice night in the county hospital ER. It's 12:30 Friday night (Saturday morning) and there are no patients waiting to be seen. Hmmm. There's always a bit of superstition in the ER that we don't say the "Q" word, or things go down the tube. But we have an adequate number of physicians and no patients. So I type.

For some reason, I suck at sending cards. I did send Thank you notes for graduation, but I can't seem to get motivated about mailing Christmas Cards. And I certainly can't find the motivation to take a picture, put it on a nice card and THEN mail it. COME ON! Beth and I have received several nice cards from friends. Pictures of kids and Christmas trees...and each year I tell her that we're going to send cards to family and a few friends (not everyone we've ever know), but each year, Christmas comes and goes, and the Brown's have managed to once again NOT send a Christmas card. I think that Beth is working on some, and after the Mother's Day fiasco (it's too horrific to even speak about), my mom will most definately get a card BEFORE Christmas.

I do think that we'll manage to get some cards out this year. Beth has already started. So maybe.

Random shift in thought:

I am ready to switch to the Pediatric side of my training. I have mostly enjoyed these past 6 months in Internal Medicine, but it's time for a change. I am also nervous at the same time, given that Day 1 on Peds is in the NICU. Tiny babies that came too early. I will then spend a month at MD Anderson Cancer Center followed my a month in the Pedi ER. I spent a month in the Pedi ER as a 3rd yr. med student and had a good rotation. Again, the switch from adults will be nice. I'm a little leary of kids with cancer...I have no idea how I will handle the saddness. Hopefully there will be more days of hope and joy than loss and despair.

I have found myself constantly humming Christmas carols. Two radio stations here in Houston are playing nothing but Christmas music until Christmas. Not holiday music, not season's greetings music, Christmas music. AND I LOVE IT! Even though I will spend Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day night (7 p.m.-7 a.m.) here in the ER, I still plan on having a wonderful Christmas with my wife and our families.

May this Christmas bring you happiness and joy. May your heart be filled with the love of family, food, and the celebration of Jesus' birth.

God Bless,

Jeremy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that reminder! I am about to hit the streets in search of the perfect gifts for each one in our family, so a little reminder of what this is really all about is timed perfectly Merry, merry Christmas to you and Beth! Wish we could share some egg nog!