Thursday, December 15, 2005

For Becky

My friend Becky (Jell-O Universe) threatened me the other day if I didn't blog...so here it is. Hard to believe my last post was in OCTOBER ( I should be threatened!) but life as a resident is busy. November was a clinic month where I worked only 2 full days and 3 half days a week, sometimes..., so I really have no excuse. But there are others who have dropped the blogging ball, so I don't feel alone. I did get the chance to celebrate the marriage of Dr. & Mrs. Dalton in Lubbock and spend Thanksgiving with Mom, L.D., Grandmother, Kristina, Eric, and (the cutest little girl in the whole wide world) Tori. The rest was more than welcomed.

This month I am in the ER at the county hospital. Why would someone wait 8-9 (NINE!!!) hours to tell me they have a headache?!? Some people are really sick, like the HIV+ patient with a lung mass. Or they lady who came with a migraine, spiked a 103 fever, and left with a diagnosis of pneumonia. I'm happy to take of these patients, but really...you've had chest pain for 2 weeks (maybe because of the cough you have) and you come to me worried about your heart??? If you were having a heart attack...it would have killed you 12-13 days ago. And oh yeah...maybe you should quit smoking. It can't be good for your obstructive sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, or reflux disease.

I may seem a bit cynical, but it's 12:30 a.m. and I am up for the night. I start working the 7 p.m. - 7 a.m. shift tomorrow night (Thurs.-Fri) so I thought the best way to prepare was to stay up all night tonight (Wed-Thurs). So I have the next 7 hours to try and find SOMETHING that is going to keep me awake. I'll probably play some more games online (Spades, Bridge) and maybe watch some TV, although I don't want to bother Beth. I also desperately need to clean the top of my desk (which I haven't seen in weeks). I would like to think that I could pass the time by reading something medical related that I need to know (anything Pediatrics at this point) but lets face it...medical texts are not the most captive reads; great sedatives, though!

Beth and I are getting ready for Christmas at the Browns'. Her step-mother, Laura, and Grandpa Henry arrive the 22nd. Her brother and sister-in-law are coming...sometime. My mom and brother are coming the 26th. Her Mom's mom and Cousin Kristin are also coming although I have no idea when. Unfortuantely, I am working nights the 22nd, 24th, 25th, and 26th. But then I have the 27th-Jan. 2nd off, which will allow me to go to Dallas to watch Tech play and WIN in the Cotton Bowl.

One (more) random thought...wasn't I alive when Southwestern Bell and AT&T were the same company? And didn't the goverment bust them up after accusing them of being a monoploy? And didn't SBC and AT&T just merge? Hmm...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again! I haven't given up stopping by.

Anonymous said...

well good lawd. It's about TIME! Geesh... Happy Christmakwanahanzukkah!

Becky said...

See? it wasn't just me...

loni said...

You're going to the Cotton Bowl? We are, too! Email me and let me know your details.
Alonia