Wednesday, February 01, 2006

February 2006

So it's a new month and a new rotation. Last month in the NICU only confirmed one thing...that I am not meant to be an intensivist. I want to be in the clinic. The month wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. It was my first month of pediatrics since August of 2003 (THAT'S A LONG TIME PEOPLE!!) and I realize that my skills and knowledge in the world of pediatrics is REAL RUSTY! So, my New Year's resolution (on February 1st) is to read SOMETHING related to pediatrics for 30 minutes EVERY DAY. You would think this would be a given for a guy in my position, but it hasn't been. I was never any good at being disciplined enough to sit and read for hours on end. I'm much more hands on. I learn my seeing and doing. Unfortunately, that can only take you so far as an intern. There's too much to know to be able to wait and see it in clinic or on the floor. So, I will read. Everyday. Something. You can help hold me accountable.

This month is MD Anderson. Pediatric Cancer. Another highly specialized month in pediatrics that isn't going to help me in the clinic. I do hope that through this I can learn at least SOME of the presenting signs and symptoms of childhood cancers, so that if I do see them in clinic I will know that they need an oncologist.

I'll try to be more diligent in my posts, but something tells me I should use the 30 minutes I normally spend blogging...yep, reading something in a pedi book.

Days off this month: Feb 18th-19th---that may mean a quick trip to Dallas. I'll let those of you in Dallas know more soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes--I need you to read up on peds. I have questions almost on a daily basis that I wish I could call up a doc and ask, but I'm sure he'd decide I am a neurotic mom or something. So, I may start emailing you pictures of the different flesh eating diseases and differently-colored snots so that you can test your skills. I know that's not quite hands-on, but it's something. And, if you don't know what ails my child, you'll HAVE to look it up and read more about it. Sound like a deal?